Summer is almost over and I am just about two weeks away from the busy season at work starting back up. Not that you’ll be able to tell from the blog. I’ll have my usual complement of whisky reviews (on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays), restaurant write-ups (Tuesdays and occasionally on weekends) and recipes (Thursdays). Who the whisky reviews are for—beyond serving as a repository of my tasting notes for my own archive—I’m not quite sure. I continue to post reviews at the same clip I’ve maintained for several years now but each year my whisky readership seems to dip even as my food readership seems to grow. Ah well, so it goes.
Below you will find the usual long list of potential whisky reviews. Let me know in the comments as usual if there are any you’d like to promote to the short list. On the food front, this month I’ll be finishing up my write-ups from our recent trip to Madison. Those will be posted on the weekends. During the week I’ll have more pandemic takeout reports from the Twin Cities metro. And tomorrow I’ll be posting a poll to select September’s recipes.
- Aberlour 25, 1995 (Old Particular for K&L)
- Archiestown Adjacent/Dailuaine 22, 1998 (OMC for K&L)
- Ben Nevis 20, 1997 (Berry Bros. & Rudd)
- Ben Nevis 20, 1997, King of the Hills (Old Particular)
- Ben Nevis 25, 1991 (Signatory)
- Benromach Cask Strength, Batch 04
- Bowmore, Bw1 (Elements of Islay)
- Bunnahabhain 26, 1987 (Archives)
- Caol Ila 11, 2008 (53.345)
- Dalmore 18, 2001 (Cadenhead)
- Foursquare 2005 (Rum)
- Foursquare Redoubtable (Rum)
- Glen Scotia 11, 2008 (SMWS 93.138)
- Glen Scotia 17, 2002 (SMWS 93.140)
- Hampden Distillery Edition, 2020 (Rum)
- Laphroaig 16
- Laphroaig 18, 1998 (SMWS 29.218)
- Linkwood 9, 2010 (Old Particular for K&L)
- Littlemill 22, 1989 (Glen Fahrn)
- Longmorn 18, Whisky Show 2011
- Old Pulteney 15, 1982, Cask 1300
- The Road to Elgin/Linkwood 27, 1993 (OMC for K&L)
- Talisker Distillers Edition 2015
- Unnamed Islay 28, 1992 (Signatory)
I can’t speak for the broader readership but I do continue to enjoy your whisky notes – though as I’m on something of a whisky hiatus at the moment I’m probably reading the recipes and restaurant reviews more reliably these days, so I guess I’m moving with the herd.
I’m always interested in Ben Nevises, and I would enjoy reading about the rums (Foursquare x 2 and Hampden).
LikeLiked by 1 person
Laphroaig 18, 1998 (SMWS 29.218) and Bunnahabhain 26, 1987 (Archives) are my top picks. Beyond those, Ben Nevis and Old Pulteney.
Thx for the Laphroaig 16 review, that was on my mind, and I’d love to hear your thoughts on the Benromach. FWIW…I’m a regular reader of the whisky reviews and find yours to be of the top 2-3 reviewers I seem to keep coming back to. Please keep it up if it’s not too much of an inconvenience for you, I appreciate them. Cheers!
Would love to know your thoughts on the Dailuaine 22. I’ve read a few that range from “pretty good,” to “nice expression of the distillery’s malt.” Curious for your notes.